INTELLIGENT CLASHING

Inspired by a visual blog site I came across several weeks ago, I just made this treasury list featuring some things that have stuck out to me lately.

-

As we go along, we pick up items that somehow find permanent spots in our home. A Chia pet, a rug, a potted plant, parts of an old banister. They seem to land somehow, arranged maybe one night after the baby is asleep and Andrew's gone to the dishes, leaving me in the living room to torture it. Understand that we live in a beautiful apartment, part of a beautiful 2.5 story house in a neighborhood with lots of trees. And we have a front porch. I'm not complaining, but what in June seemed pretty in October proved impossible and our one-bedroom apartment suddenly became tiny and rough around it's edges when Andrew and I had to move our bed into the living room (The baby would not sleep!) The living room, it was huge before but now it is too small, etc. to accept it as substitute for a studio. I spend more nights moving furniture around, trying to make three distinct "living spaces" - the bedroom area, the living area and the dining-- live together in one room. Currently in search of a small table.

But moving on. When new things come into the apartment the new task is incorporating them. Initiating them, maybe. For instance I have a set of lovely green pillows I found at a garage sale a few months back that just made the cut list, put in storage because I just can't find a way to love them.

It has dawned on me that I have no definition of how it is I want my home to look or feel. I have a notion, sure, or a way of feeling it out, but I couldn't put it into words. I'm too out of practice, visually, to arrange colors or swatches or compare paint chips. I don't know why certain items make it into their place on the mantel or next to that book, and I don't know why I compulsively move it around once I no longer can understand it's being where it was previous.

-

But as I said I found this site a few weeks ago. It takes me to places and then suddenly I understand perfectly. Here are some of those treasury items:



A hand mirror designed by artist Amy Blackwell



this bowl, made by Laura Cooke



this pencil cup, made by Monica Marks



and this fantastic sweater from the shop Fleurs de Lune

Intelligent clashing is really right down your alley if you like colors and lots of edges that cross into each other's territory. Or if you're a person who enjoys a meal more if it's colors blast out to you.

No comments: