A VACATION FOR THE POOR IS WHAT MEDICINE IN ICE CREAM IS TO A DOG


On Sunday little Abbott and I are headed to Philadelphia on vacation.

We're regretfully going without Andrew, who can't take the time off from work, but I really need the change of scenery and the opportunity came up. It will be the first time I've had to care for him all by myself, but I'm so up for the challenge. We're going to be staying in the house I lived in when we first learned I was pregnant, hosted by my old roommates.


__

You have no idea how excited I am for this. Things have been so tough lately that I feel like a spurt out of town will boost my spirits tremendously. One of the things I'll be doing is leaving Abbott with a caring friend for an evening and bussing up to New York to see some great friends and a play they're working on. I'm hoping that will be the kick in the pants I need to start taking my own career's future seriously again.

If you're a regular reader, you know that I've been having a really though time with Postpartum Depression. Recap: had a baby in June, moved to North Carolina where I live in near-complete isolation with the husband and baby - broken up only briefly by pop-in visits from my dad and happy encounters with my neighbors. PPD is a tough cookie even without "starting over" in a brand new town, but add being super poor the the mix, and you're bound to have more Down days than Up. Part of the issue is the financial bind we're constantly in, but the rest is divided between our not knowing what to do with ourselves and the fact that we rarely get out of the house. What to do? Take a trip.

__

We'll be in Philly for a week, punctuated by the quick visit to New York. I very much look forward to sharing this trip through photos and anecdotes in the coming weeks. I promise to try to use the good energy and turn it into a different game of life.

I'm about to get a vacation from life as we know it, and it's coming at a time where it's badly needed.





( shoes from Small Earth Vintage / graphic was taken from this awesome poster designed for Asel Art Supply ... isn't it awesome?)


No comments: